Different people will buy electric bikes for many different reasons. These are some of the more common, and some surprising reasons, people make the investment.
- Faster Commute – for those living in areas with substantial traffic congestion, electric bikes offer a sensible solution to decrease commute time and get to work even faster.
- Commitment to Living Green – for some this is the primary motivation to buy electric bicycles. When used as a mode of transportation, they help reduce traffic and smog.
- College Commutes – with many campuses banning cars for underclassmen, or other students living on campus, electric bicycles provide a cost effective manner of transportation – especially in college towns with many resources located near the campus. The University of Washington is even considering a vending program that allows students, faculty, and staff to rent electric bikes by the hour, according to Inside Higher Ed.
- Novelty – some people just like toys and gadgets. The bigger the better, and this is one amazing one that is sure to bring its own share of toy joy to all who own it. Don’t knock the fun factor. It can be a powerful motivator for buying and using an electric bike.
- Traveling around Town– while most people will not find this to be the best choice for long distance or family travel, riding around town to take care of errands, visit the local farmer’s market, visit the library, grab a cup of coffee, or support your local businesses is a great way to maximize the potential and usefulness of electric bicycles.
- Getting Fit – the great thing about e-bikes is that you’re able to choose the amount of effort you put into operating it. This means you can go all in with your efforts to get a workout on your commute or increase your effort over time as your body becomes accustomed to the routine of your ride.
- Touring – visiting a new city? You’ll be able to cover more ground sightseeing and without getting tuckered out if using an electric bike to check out the sights of another city.
- Medical condition – for people who have knee pain or other physical challenges, electric bikes offer the ability to still get out there and enjoy the outdoors with their family.
These are many reasons to consider electric bicycles for people from all walks of life. Understanding basic facts about these bicycles will help you make informed decisions about whether or not this is a good choice for you. As their popularity and availability grows, you can expect to see them more widely used and get more ideas about how you can use them yourself to do great things for the planet, your household budget, and your own physical fitness.
Amber Merton, Electric Bikes 101, Plushbeds
(Read the full article here)